Wednesday, September 05, 2007

We were lucky enough to attend a wedding in Rüdesheim a few weeks back. Here the lovely bride and groom in their
cable car. The guests got to follow them up the hill with this view. Yes, the Rhein was in flood.
I don't care what the guide books say, the town itself is a tourist trap but the region is lovely, and the wall paintings in the kloster are really impressive. We have relatives who stayed with young boys at the Jugendherberge in Bacharach. The boys loved it, telling me excitedly about their time in a Ritterburg.

It was a wee bit weird because we know that one member of the pair went through the whole thing reluctantly, at least initially. Not the relationship or the committment, but the wedding. This is hardly a secret, it was mentioned in the wedding invitation and again during the ceremony. I just couldn't get as into it as I might otherwise would. How worked up can you get about someone improving their tax situation? But the guests were lovely and I got to talk way too much with an incredibly kind British couple.

Hint - don't ever say "fanny pack" in the UK

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What happens is you say fanny pack in the UK?

EuroTrippen said...

Well the area certainly looks beautiful... and I like the idea of the bride wearing red instead of the traditional white/ivory. Good for her!

Anonymous said...

I hear you, having been a reluctant bride. (Oh, and anything done for tax reasons is cause for much joy and gladness in my book, except I can't send invitations. Sehr geehrte Finanzamt, Sie sind herzlich eingeladen!) Glad you made the most of it and enjoyed the countryside.

Schokolade Mädchen said...

I want to know too...
What happens if you say "fanny pack" in the UK?