Monday, November 20, 2006

Appreciation

Chalk this up to "higher highs and lower lows"

My husband, who headed off to work with the digital camera, so I can't post photos of our adventures into southern Hessen yesterday, is one of the few people in my life with whom I can switch languages. There are times when I need to express an idea I can't translate, and he's now to the point where he can deal with it without missing a beat. (Borat flashback - It's niiiiiice.)

There are so many things that can make intercultural marriage difficult, so many things you take for granted that bite you in the butt, but it occured to me the other night that D. speaks such wonderful German. (I am in no position to know that he does. It's adequate, but he's no Goethe-thank God.) He has definitely complemented me on my English, which is in a sorry state at the moment.

Which has lead me to conclude that -
It's lovely that difficult things come with hidden bonuses, and that there can be someone who sees extraordinary talents in skills that are simply natural for you.

No comments: