Saturday, November 25, 2006

Rainy Day in Süd Hessen






Ok, here's a second try at posting the pictures from last weekend's romp to the north! We had a lovely time visiting friends, and I very much enjoyed hanging out with Jakob, the 1 1/2 year-old, who thought I was pretty cool.

Job hunting, everyone is constantly telling you that you have to know what you are good at. My encounter with Jakob was both heartening and a little depressing. I am generally good with kids - individuals, not large groups and with people generally. Unfortunately, it's not the kind of thing you can write on a resume and the experience, like reading "What Color is Your Parachute" in German, knocks me for a loop because I probably invested my entire academic life in an area other than that in which my natural talent lies.

I always got ansers back assessment tests in high-school telling me that I should become a stewardess or something similar, and I often received comments from co-workers while I was a Park Ranger that I was really cut out for the job. (Interacting with visitors, mind you - - - I was definitely not able to make the grade physically in one park where I worked, but parks like that are pretty uncommon.) But when you are capable of "more" then you want to do "more", if for no other reason than that it pays better. Now I am in Germany, and high customer contact positions are no longer an option because my German won't ever be at the necessary level. I have the good fortune to have had a technical education so that some doors are open for me, but one still wonders at night. (Comfortingly, my husband has similar thoughts, so I know I am not alone.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that your assessment tests said you should be a stewardess.

Plus....it's flight attendant. You're so politically incorrect. ;)

doc moriarty