Thursday, March 15, 2007

O brave new world, that has such people in it!

I saw some Hasidic Jews (sp?) in the train tonight - they weren't speaking English but my initial reaction was the same as I have often had with African-American looking people here (who then turned out not to be African American).

I think --- ooooh someone like me! I feel like I am home when I see them. My only conversation I ever had with actual Americans here outside of the University didn't go well. They were really jerky to me (and not members of the aforementioned groups). Sometimes a girl just gets a little homesick.

And then the guy in the seat in front of me was carrying a backpack from teh 6th annual international conference for toxic cyanobacteria.

Perhaps diversity isn't only to be found at home.

*** I am sure this offended someone, and that isn't my intent. I realize the ridiculousness of the feeling and that's why I am even mentioning it. Even if the gentlemen I saw in the train were from NYC, I doubt they would appreciate my enthusiasm. I've seen more people here with turbans than I have with unshaved side-burns.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweetie, I often feel the same way. On the train back up north I heard people speaking English and I had to fight my instincts to chat them up.

Paul Smith Jr. said...

Would black people in Europe still be called "African-American"?

Anonymous said...

That was the point. I thought they were, and they weren't. They were Africans or African Europeans or whatever.