Sunday, November 04, 2007

Why we went to Vienna.


Nothing cute this entry. We went to Vienna because I had the opportunity to be at the funeral of someone who I knew only fleetingly, but who was ready to welcome me into her life and into her home. Whether that had anything to do with me at all, or only out of love for her nephew, I will never know, but she was a force unto herself and I always connect her in my mind with the pleasure she found in the good things in life - good food and good music. I had wanted to get back to Vienna to say good-bye, but did not imagine it would be this way or so soon.

I can only hope that these pictures give some impression of the way I remember her. Laughing and enjoying life.

2 comments:

J said...

I do hope you get a chance to return to Vienna for sightseeing (if you haven't already), it's a great place.

Keep the memory of her you have in your mind alive. She sounds like she was a great person.

ann_ona_moose said...

We spent 4 days there and I think it was my best trip yet. Having a few more euros to spend on coffee and a drink at the Loos bar helps. I spent Christmas in Vienna several times, as Antonia's guest, but being there when the weather was cooperating makes a big difference.