Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Because it feels so good when I stop

So I got fired. Seriously. And it's ok. Technically, I got laid off. But that was Friday, this is Wednesday, it wasn't entirely unexpected and I have everything home now, including the commuter bike. I turned in my key to the bicycle parking garage yesterday.
(The folks who work there, btw are mostly kids who haven't been able to find jobs. I was stunned when I found this out because they were always extremely friendly and the service was great (I mean, American level service). This is a fabulous project.)

Things have been pretty bad for a while (mostly work) - I was literally hanging on day to day and really wracked with worry every time I applied for a job that paid less. Working where I was working was worse than being unemployed - much worse. All of that is gone and although I continue to be really knocked for a loop (a little uncertain as to what now) I am 70% relieved and glad to have a little bit of time to get my head back to something roughly approaching a good place.

So anyhoo - I hope to get some backlogged items up in the next few days and now that I have gotten this off my chest (I am about 25% ashamed), you'll be hearing a bit more from me.

6 comments:

christina said...

Wow, sorry about your being laid off but you do sound pretty relieved actually. :-) This probably means that something big is just around the corner - a job that you'll go to every day with a smile on your face.

In the meantime blog away, we'll be reading.

Martina said...

The universe works in strange ways; being laid off will be good for something you don't realize yet.

EuroTrippen said...

You've been languishing in a job you weren't happy with for a long time now, it's bound to have weighed you down. And I predict in a few months time you'll look back & say this was one of the best things to have happened to you.

In the meantime hunker down, shed the shame entirely, and concentrate on a brighter future... one with a job that doesn't feel like a prison sentence!

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Sounds like it was a blessing in disguise:)

By the way, my URL has changed:

http://www.schokolademaedchen.blogspot.com/

ann_ona_moose said...

Thank you for being so sweet. I will work on the shame thing - and Ms Mädchen, address corrected!

Mike B said...

Leaving a job at a time and place not wholly of one's own choosing still feels like being fired, although your German friends will tell you that getting laid off is not the same as being fired. To those doing the hiring around here, it essentially is, but they let the "little people" keep that illusion.

Just don't let it get you too down and for too long, as the local economy is still ticking along ... for a while at least.

If I remember correctly, you have a background in environmental sciences? There are more than a few basic-materials and related firms between Darmstadt & Heidelberg looking for that sort of skill-set today.

So hit the pavement while the looking is good.

Good luck.