Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Attention, Attention

To read around the ex-pat blog world, many of my fellow bloggers (said humbly, being that all of them have been at this longer than I) are learning German. Without want ing in any way to discourage them, I am about to demonstrate that it might not be as rewarding as one might hope.

I watched the Hape Kerkeling live special on the weekend. Perhaps best known for his "Hurz" sketch ages ago in which he and a colleague try to pass off a bit of silliness as serious music, he has a full show, much of which is now on Youtube. So illegal, but yet, so useful.

You don't have to understand German to get this clip because I am about to fill you in on everything he says to set up this sketch.

Part I
Germans aren't necessarily well received in foreign countries. He attended an intensive communication course in the States last year and there the instructor greeted the course participants and then asked each of them to introduce themselves. . . .

Part II
There is now an announcement each evening in St. Peter's square in Rome in every language (No, there isn't; this is made up.) asking visitors to remain in the square to offer Vespers (Evening Prayer) together with the pope.

and now, without any further ado, I give you Hape Kerkeling

No comments: