Monday, February 05, 2007

My so-called post-Turkey life

Well Friday night was like running into a brick wall. Three rejection emails, one after another. These were all initiative-applications, mind you, but I allowed myself to become disheartened. I have yet to hear word one from any app I have sent in response to an advertised opening. Despite all that we got through "Thanksgiving" for 13 on Saturday. 1.5x the side-dish recipes would have done it (instead of 2x) but we have lived and learned, and the people who were secretly whining that they wanted to bring spaghetti out of concern they might not like anything served seemed to be content with what we served. (Am I forgiven for being a wee bit insulted, still. How can we Americans all be so fat if the food isn't edible. Please! Pick one stereotype and stick to it.) Practically nothing remained of our 4 kilo friend. Mr. Gobbles, we barely knew ya.

I received an email on Saturday from a temp agency, which had advertised looking for professionals in my field. Evil, evil temp agencies. We'll see if they have any use for me and how much they would be willing to pay me. Yes, we know that the answer is - not very much - but my education level should put me into the highest tarif-klasse, but they could try to wiggle. Let's see if they have a job in mind first.

Ran into a friend that I hadn't seen in months at church on Sunday and I stayed up til 4 chatting with my sister (and a friend now in Peru) and watching the Super Bowl (Thank you ORF!) and drinking a white russian or two (yes, two). A pleasant day of winding down.

So a new week has begun and I have a personal victory item to report. I scheduled an appointment with the Frauenartzt. I may already have my nerves in a bunch for nothing. The appointment is a mere two days from now and I am concerned that they may have somehow confused me with a patient with private insurance. We will see. (Often publicly insured patients have to wait longer for appointments.)

And to keep it lively . . .
Think yĆ³ur expat experience is bad?? This will disabuse you of that notion right quick.

4 comments:

christina said...

Make sure you wear a long blouse or sweater when you go to your appointment. They examine the top half first and then the bottom half and there are NO little paper gowns.

Anonymous said...

Wow, suddenly Germany doesn't seem so bad.

Good luck with the search.

Mike B said...

I can tell you from experience that it is difficult, but not impossible, for an Auslander to find a job in Germany (complain as I do about my current job, it is very good by German standards). What exactly are you looking to do? Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but have you tried looking at EUMETSAT and the other agencies in the Darmstadt area? In a country so obsessed with environmental issues, I'm surprised you are not turning up more leads, but I learned that as an Auslander you have to practically kick down the door to be taken seriously. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

ps - my landlady got broken up with last night... what is it with this week? ..at least her dilemma was with an "official" relationship haaa



did you have your appointment yet?