Wednesday, February 14, 2007

While I wasn't Sleeping

A lot has happened since Friday, namely a second interview on Monday and a job starting the beginning of March.

I should be thrilled out of my little gourd, no? But I have had two largely sleepless nights with a lot of compensatory daytime sleeping which is No Good What-so-ever.

The bad news:
  1. We will have to get a car, which will be a huge money-sucking hole. I feel as though I would be working to finance the thing. D. insists that this isn't the case, but we will see.
  2. There is a lot to learn and I have no idea if I will meet their expectations and get picked up at the end of the 6 month trial period.
  3. Repeat point 2 about 100x
  4. If I get booted at 6 months, I will have a hell of time getting some other company to hire me.
  5. It's a small company, so there is effectively no Mutterschutz down the road. I will lose my job in ca. 3 years if all goes according to plan.
  6. Given that 4. is a nearly forgone conclusion, can we really move any further forward towards buying an apartment or home?
  7. If we buy, will we buy Money-Pit like structure that will drag us to financial ruin?
  8. If we don't buy, will we be able to support ourselves in our dottage based on our current savings?
Pretty much every chain of night time thought ends with us under a bridge eating dogfood. I don't seem to recall having this level of existential angst in the States.


The good news:
  1. The position as defined is a mix of two of my areas of interest, the one I applied for there and another one that interests me. (I didn't directly address it in my application there because it's in another department.)
  2. Whatever I learn will qualify me further for the next job.
  3. Even if I come out making nothing in the end, the German social security system doesn't see it that way and this is very good, indeed.
  4. This is step 1 to a career here, and that would make me slightly less vulnerable should anything, God forbid, happen to D.
  5. They are letting me take my planned trip to visit my family and friends before Easter.

3 comments:

Mike B said...

Smile, be yourself, and don't worry too much about being able to do the job ... that will come naturally. In most of these situations, the fact that the people like you and are comfortable with you carries more weight on the ultimate hire decision (assuming, of course, you are not totally unqualified for the job).

EuroTrippen said...

First off, congratulations! A new job is always scary, and there are no guarantees in life... but doesn't it feel great to be wanted & embarking on something new and unique?

ann_ona_moose said...

Thanks to you both. It is reassuring. :)