Friday, February 09, 2007

This is what I get for making fun of my husband.

Thanks to those who offered advice before my trip to the Frauenartzt. It was different than I expected (got poked somewhere I wasn't expecting). The problem with having a German sig. ot. is that you can't just say that and leave it at that, because he has no idea what you are talking about. One has to go into painful detail. But we, as native speakers can leave it there, no? Apparently Harbor tours aren't just for men. ugggh. Also - you can get the hpv vaccine in Germany even if you are considerably older than 20. I don't think you can in the States.

There was no seperate top and bottom treatment, but I came prepped. No gowns, no problem. Button-down blouse and long skirt. I think she was a bit miffed, but tough bagels, sweetie. She, an article-dropping Eastern European, also had the nerve to criticize my accent, which isn't perfect, but is far from painful. I also don't buy into anyone whose ear isn't good enough to fix their own speech being able to distinguish among different native English speakers whose accents aren't glaring. All she really means is that I don't sound like the ice-hockey coaches on tv. So her German is better than Vladimir Putin's. . . and?

I think what she did is the equivalent of calling a darker complected person articulate. Which seems to be a hot topic at home at the moment. I've done it - also done it with Sylvester Stalone, though, and last I check he was white under all that self-tanner. It does, convey surprise, but when I use the word with anyone, I also mean that the people speaking expressed themselves so well that I consider their skill-level enviable. (Literally - Wow, I wish I could do that.) When one considers what African Americans your average suburb-dweller hears, they are rappers and athletes, or actors reading text (for which they aren't responsible and could very well have been dumbed down - see Crash) - we are programmed to be surprised when someone from that community speaks well because educated successful Blacks so rarely get the spotlight. That, in my eyes, is the underlying problem - not that someone (a not particularly articulate someone - heh) was trying to pay Senator Obama a compliment.

** correction - Apparently, Vladimir Putin speaks excellent German. I will have to find another example.

4 comments:

C N Heidelberg said...

Eww. I fear the Frauenarzt...but I know I won't be able to avoid it. Never really minded it in the US, but I think that's just because they are so incredibly discreet that it seems like it's not really even happening. Sounds like they are not at all discreet here.

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Trust me, as a well educated African American living and speaking in Germany, being "complimented" on how well you speak (for a person of color) is more insulting and aggravating than someone criticizing your accent.

ann_ona_moose said...

It probably isn't much comfort - but people compliment my German all the time. I think American=stupid, no matter what color that American is. But I do get an extra 15 sec (ok 5.5) before someone figures out that I not from here. A friend of mine from Latin America has gotten some really offensive questions about why she married her German husband, but that appears to be a more a 1rst world, developing world thing.
But I am not going to paint it pretty - I know that not standing out (as much) gives me an advantage that I have done nothing to earn.

Paul Smith Jr. said...

I think what she did is the equivalent of calling a darker complected person articulate. Which seems to be a hot topic at home at the moment.

Once again, Joe Biden does my home state proud!