Monday, April 30, 2007

Mercurial Moose

I was planning to blog yesterday. Yesterday was good. Yesterday was great. It was like the story of the man who asked why he was banging his head against a wall replied, "Because it feels so good when I stop." Well, yesterday, I got to stop for a whole 26 hours, and it felt so good.

On a wave of euphoria - tomorrow is a holiday after all - I returned to the office. The cleaning folks had been in during my one day absence (yes, I worked Sat. again), another good thing. Discussed the project with the boss and settled in to make the last graphs for our 1 o'clock, only to discover a mistake I had made which invalidates everything I spent Saturday doing. Fixing it produces a system from which I can no longer get results, so now I am fiddling again with the meeting getting ever closer.

But back to lovely yesterday . . .
I was bound and determined to get out and about before the never-ending rain that I am quite convinced is coming sets in. So we biked 20 km through the woods to the in-laws instead of taking the train. We made the trip in a little over an hour and fifteen, down 45 minutes from our trip last year. A chance to revel in biking skills regained, to earn the pile of divine potato salad to which I greedily helped myself at lunch. Forty km later, I had a little pain in my knee and rear and a very sleepy husband. Not a bad day's work, that.

Whiplash to the present moment. . .
Well our appointment dude is coming 2 hours late and after that, I am supposed to aquaint myself with a new piece of software, so that I can fix "the problem".

There go my plans of getting out of here in time to buy food, and activity that didn't make it onto the schedule on Saturday and of which there is no chance tomorrow. Also visions of disappearing Workers holiday.

Not to worry; the software is lost. It must be sent from an office in another city. Whew! No way it can get here before Wednesday.

Horrors! The software can be sent via email!

No comments: