Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Lost in Translation

Ooooh nooo! I have apparently been away from home (i.e. the States) too long. I don't understand the language anymore.

'Plutoed' chosen as '06 Word of the Year
Word based on demoted former planet beat out 'murse,' 'flog' and 'macaca'


"Plutoed" won in a runoff against "climate canary," defined as "an organism or species whose poor health or declining numbers hint at a larger environmental catastrophe on the horizon."

Other words considered: murse (man's purse), flog (a fake blog that promotes products) and macaca (an American citizen treated as an alien)

I understood "plutoed" and the word is kinda cool, and I had heard "macaca" before, but I had forgotten the context and I certainly wouldn't use it myself. I worry a bit that my view of the States will be forever frozen in 2003, as my mother's picture of Germany is strongly influenced by her time in Germany in the late 60's. New companies move into the area, are well known, and I am clueless.

No comments: