Friday, January 26, 2007

So . . .How was it?

Not so great, I am afraid. Ich fühlte mich verarscht! (I felt like the fates were out to get me.)

Actually, the interview was fine. They were really freindly, put up with me when I forgot a German word (a technical term) and they very cooly could also only think of the the English for another technical term. The project on which they are interested in working is extremely closely related to my thesis project. Now comes the but. They would prefer to have someone in a location to which I can't get. It's completely depressing, because the fellow in that office has done a bunch of neat projects and I think I would like working for him. I went into the interview knowing that this was a possibility, so it's quite alright.

Apparantly (apparent-LEE for all of you Coupling fans) I also have a mortal enemy among the Thanksgiving Turkey gods.

I was headed off to another city for the interview, so I figured that I should check out one of the larger stores in that city in the hope they would have a frozen turkey. We are having trouble drumming one up for our little delayed Thanksgiving celebration. So after the interview, I went to Kaufland. Naturally, I had called the day before and been assured that they had frozen whole turkeys. They did, in fact, have a turkey, but it was too small and the package was open with the contents damaged. So, I left. I was really irritated, but whaddya going to do in Germany? Complaining won't improve anything. I treated myself to a double espresso at the train station instead.

6 comments:

EuroTrippen said...

It's frustrating to be so close to something you want, but have it not quite turn out the way you'd like. Hey, now that I think of it, this statement could apply to either the job OR the turkey search...

Here's hoping soon you find both very soon!

EuroTrippen said...

err, subtract a 'soon' please..

Jelly Doughnut said...

Did you say "Ich bin heiß" during your interview? That might have helped them view you in a new light. Definitely.

Mike B said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike B said...

It is possible for an Auslander to land a good gig in Germany, but they don't make it easy.

It is also possible to find a frozen Turkey ... Real and WalMart have them year round in my neck of the woods. My nice Polish former-intern warns me to stay away from those raised in Poland (after seeing how they are raised ... I suspect one would have that reaction in any country and not just Poland), but I'm not sure the one's WalMart brings in from Brazil are any better for you. Tasty, though.

ann_ona_moose said...

thank you for the support and the laughs - I was in fact very cold upon my arrival for the interview - now I know why it went "schief" :)

Real and Walmart don't have turkies where I live :(. They do in Stuttgart, but we decided it wasn't worth the hastle of getting there.
We're getting a fresh one from a local butcher shop.