Monday, January 15, 2007

Stories that warm an expat's heart

Ran across a few stories that might be of interest to the long-term expat today while perusing MSNBC.com

Being bilingual can delay onset of dementia

Here's a second one that was interesting for me as a daughter living away from her parents. My parents and I have tried video conferencing a bit, but my parents generally find it taxing to get everything organized, so we only do it the few times a year my sister sets everything up for them.

Virtual dinners join elderly with faraway family

I am grateful that my sisters still live close to my parents - and that my parents are in very good health for their ages. It radically alters the level of guilt I face having chosen to live in Europe. Of course, should the situation change, our geography might change as well.

1 comment:

christina said...

I saw the dementia story the other day in German - thanks for the English link! Very interesting.

And yeah, there is a lot of guilt involved in moving and leaving the parents to fend for themselves. My parents are also in pretty good health right now and have my two brothers and their families withing shouting distance, but I still worry sometimes...