Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Election

I didn't vote. My experience last go around was horrible. The absentee ballot never showed up and desite repeated calls to the elections board, I had to find out from Washington that there is a standard federal form which could be filled out by someone in just my position. The office in Newark had told me that my only recourse was a personal appearance in court in Newark, NJ - or my parents could should up with an affadavit. (I only have to travel 2 hours to get one of those, and for a lot of American ex-pats in Germany, the distance is even greater.)

So the good folks in D.C. (wow, I can't believe I just wrote that) directed me immediately to the webpage with the pdf and I I mailed the form, but it's a) highly unlikely that it arrived on time and b) it wasn't close enough in NJ that my vote would have ever have been counted.

I decided that I didn't want to go through all that again, and let the matter drop, particularly in light of my ever-dwindling enthusiasm for the Republican party. I can still get a little excited about McCain, but I know he's not going anywhere beyond the talk show circuit and I am not a AZ voter. Other than that, Mark Shea was right that we had the Evil Party and the Stupid Party. But recently, the Stupid Party has been at minimum so tacit in their approval of evil, that I can't seem to get beyond the "a pox on both their houses" attitude.

No comments: