Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Language barriers

Over the past few days I have been drafting emails to former professors, in the hope that they might pass on to me any job-related fliers that might pass through their hands. There are many positions that get "advertised" privately in Germany, which isn't all the different than in the States I suppose. D. has received emails at work from project collaborators looking for employees. Unfortunately, neither of the two positions were closely enough related to my field for me to apply. I am no longer living in the city where I studied and am working to reestablish some kind of network. (D. is strangely the only German I know that isn't a Vereinsmitglied of any shape or form.)

Back to the email - One of the emails won't be a problem because the addressee was at my wedding, and hopefully hasn't forgotten me in the past few weeks, but for the others striking a balance between reminding someone of who you are and German directness is hard to do, and every corrected email I get back from D. strikes me as too brusque, so it's back to the drawing board.

In the silver lining department -
I sent off an email to someone in the hopes of setting up a German/English tandem.
And here are some pictures of the flowers at my wedding. We left so much up to the florist - and there were aspects of her execution where it was obvious she had really listened to me when we met to discuss the flowers. (I love wildflowers, but I wanted the flowers for the Church to be more formal - she pulled it together so well.) Not everything went as well - see the very obvious hairclips - but I was thrilled with the flowers.


The bouquet below was our jumping-off point and we wanted to go more "autumn".

1 comment:

christina said...

Saw a comment you left at Eurotrippen and just wanted to pop in and say hi.

Your wedding flowers were gorgeous.