Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Odds and Ends


If you´re looking for a little laugh, I suggest heading over to the Virtual Tapas Bar for the lyrics to a song about a meet-up of ex-pat bloggers. It was all I needed to feel less isolated this morning.

My limited hunting has failed to locate any American ex-pats blogging from Austria.
Anybody know of any? My European adventure began in Austria and I used to be a pretty big fan of pretty much all things Austrian. I am now coming to terms with the fact that my children will be "piefkes" and liking the fact that my accent is no longer that different than that of the people around me.

I will also be closely watching this discussion over at EuroTrippen. It is the never-ending ex-pat struggle.

My mom lived in Germany in the 60´s, and at the time, the only place one could buy peanut butter was in the "Reform Laden", which surprisingly enough is not a detention center or juvie or similar, but Granola Central, the health food store. In a fit of ex-pat-think, my mother went back to the health food store figuring that if they had peanut butter, they might also have another American product she was looking for - wait for it - marshmallows! She got a lecture on healthy eating, on Americans and their diets and on her foolishness generally before she was permitted to once again go on her way.

3 comments:

christina said...

Aren't those lyrics great? I've memorized them already.

Pam from Nerd's Eye View is an American who divides up her time between Seattle, WA and a small town in Austria.

EuroTrippen said...

I so identify with the craving root beer part of the song. What I wouldn't give for a cold IBC... sigh.

Between ebay and the site I mentioned, http://www.foodfromhome.de , I manage to get most of the things I think I need.

ann_ona_moose said...

Christina -I ran into two Austrian blogs yesterday, including Nerd's Eye View. I could have sworn that there was nothing in the Expat blog directory for Austria 2 weeks ago :)

B- the store you linked to had _much_ better prices than the one I pointed out. Thanks!! I found one more through a British Consulate webpage that had pumpkin for 3eur - which is, startling enough, below my pain threshold. A whole new world of possibilities opens up. . .